The Management & Economics Society of CIM is pleased to offer the following one-day course together with the Marquee Group:
Data Manipulation with Excel using Geologic Data
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
8:30 am to 5:00 pm PDT
UBC Robson Square
800 Robson Street
Vancouver, BC, V6Z 3B7
This hands-on course is an intensive program that will transform geological and mining participants into Excel “Power Users”. The course is focused on the pertinent Excel tools that can be used on geological and mining information to analyze and manipulate data efficiently and to create compelling analysis. The course covers intermediate and advanced level Excel topics. As such, participants should have a good working knowledge of Excel prior to taking this course.
- Use numerous built-in Excel functions to interpret and manipulate data
- Use Excel’s filters in conjunction with specific arithmetic functions to summarize large volumes of data
- Learn to use many features of the Advanced Filter, one of the most helpful and least utilized tools in Excel
- Incorporate widely used financial and arithmetic functions
- Use a variety of intermediate and advanced Lookup functions to extract specific information efficiently
- Learn multiple uses of the Vlookup and Offset functions, including ways to automate these functions
- Create nested formulas to expand the flexibility of various functions
- Use powerful Text functions to manipulate non-numeric variables
- Convert non-recognizable values into useable numbers with the use of Text functions
- Become proficient with Pivot Tables, one of the most powerful tools in Excel, to analyze large quantities of data quickly
- Learn to use some of the most effective and lesser known Pivot Table features
This program will transform geological and mining participants into Excel “Power Users”. The participants will focus on the Excel tools required in a business environment to analyze and manipulate data efficiently and create financial analyses.
Duncan McKeen, CFA
Principal, The Marquee Group
Duncan is a Principal of The Marquee Group. He has taught finance courses at the Queen’s University School of Business, and has extensive experience in equity research where he focused on the resource sector. Prior to joining the financial community, Duncan worked with Ingersoll-Rand. He received his Master of Finance degree from the Queen’s University School of Business and a Bachelor of Engineering degree from McGill University. He is also a CFA charterholder.
The Marquee Group has developed a framework and discipline for model design, structure and development. Marquee has provided training to professionals at financial institutions, corporations, professional organizations and universities since 2002.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This course is designed for anyone who wishes to improve their data manipulation skills using Excel, and those involved in preparing financial budgets, forecasts and business valuation.
Prerequisites: Attendees must be proficient in Excel and should have a solid grasp of basic accounting fundamentals prior to attending.
Participants must bring a laptop with any version of Microsoft Excel to the course.
Registration (closes June 16, 2019): $600 + applicable taxes
Early Bird Pricing (until June 4, 2019): $525 + applicable taxes
Please click HERE to register!
For more information on upcoming CIM MES events, click HERE to check our calendar.
Keep up to date by checking us out at: www.cimmes.org
Be part of an MES conversation, start a conversation or simply be informed – join us on LinkedIn! Click HERE to register!