The Management & Economics Society (MES) of CIM is pleased to offer the following short course (one-day course) in Vancouver:
Thursday, November 14, 2019
8:30 am to 5:00 pm PT
UBC Robson Square
800 Robson Street, Vancouver, BC V6Z 2E7
This course provides an introduction on how to transform, analyze and visualize data with Power BI Desktop. A corporate data set is used to build a rich and interactive report with a number of different visualizations. The relationships between various data sources are defined to create a relational data model. This model forms a foundation which allows the data to be analyzed in a number of different ways using the exhibits in the report. Participants will be able to explore the company’s data by cross-filtering and drilling down through various levels in the visualizations.
Connecting and refining data
- Overview of Power BI interface and workflow
- Review some common types of data connections
- Discuss best practices for editing queries
- Settings for defining data categories
- Demonstration of basic table transformations
- Tools used to manipulate text, numbers and dates
- Creating index and conditional columns
Building a relational data model
- Review of best practices for data modeling
- Common guidelines for database normalization
- Discussion of lookup tables and data tables
- Understanding primary keys and foreign keys
- Creating, defining and editing table relationships
- Review of star schemas and snowflake schemas
- Discussion of relationship cardinality
- Guidelines for one-to-many relationships
Data visualization with reports
- Best practices and guidelines for report design
- Introduction and layout of the Report View
- Adding various visualizations to reports
- Visualization options for fields and formatting
- Using slicers to filter report visualizations
- Filtering at various levels in the data model
- Using visual, page and report-level filters
- Editing interactions to control cross-filtering
- Comparison of filtering and highlighting
Participants design and create a data model which drives an interactive dashboard to analyze and display company data.
Duncan McKeen, CFA
Principal, The Marquee Group
Duncan is a Principal of The Marquee Group. He has taught finance courses at the Queen’s University School of Business, and has extensive experience in equity research where he focused on the resource sector. Prior to joining the financial community, Duncan worked with Ingersoll-Rand. He received his Master of Finance degree from the Queen’s University School of Business and a Bachelor of Engineering degree from McGill University. He is also a CFA charterholder.
The Marquee Group has developed a framework and discipline for model design, structure and development. Marquee has provided training to professionals at financial institutions, corporations, professional organizations and universities since 2002.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This course is designed for those who wish to improve their financial modelling skills and those involved in preparing financial budgets and forecasts, and business valuation.
Prerequisites: Attendees should have a solid grasp of basic accounting fundamentals and proficiency with Excel prior to attending. This course is designed as an introduction to Microsoft Power BI Desktop which is free to download and install (this software is currently only available for PC/Windows).
Participants must bring a laptop with access to Power BI Desktop.
REGISTRATION ( Prices are subject to 12% GST )
Early Bird Pricing ( until October 31, 2019 ): $525
Regular Pricing ( closes November 13, 2019 ): $600
40% off the Regular Pricing Student Discount (current, full-time students only)
Email a photo of your student ID to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the name and date of the course(s) you plan to attend. Please register using your university email address.
Please click HERE to register!
CPD/CE Credits: Eligible for CFA, CPA and P.Eng. professional development hours.
Cancellations are not permitted within seven days of the start of the event, but you may send someone else in your place. For complete cancellation and refund policy, click HERE.
For more information on upcoming CIM MES events, click HERE to check our calendar.
Keep up to date by checking us out at: www.cimmes.org
Be part of an MES conversation, start a conversation or simply be informed – join us on LinkedIn! Click HERE to get connected!